Shirts + Pins
Available below (with free U.S. shipping!)
These are some of the books I've read while researching videos and/or recommend for other reasons:
- The Real North Korea: Life and Politics in the Failed Stalinist Utopia
- Destined for War: Can America and China Escape Thucydides's Trap?
- Steve Jobs
- The Everything Store
- Trust Me, I'm Lying
- So You've Been Publicly Shamed
- The Memory Illusion
- The Darwin Economy: Liberty, Competition, and the Common Good
(These are affiliate links to Audible, a sponsor of PolyMatter)
Advertising puts food on my table, which means more videos for you. But it only works if…
- The audience knows there’s advertising. You should never end a video wondering if I was paid to say something - that’s why I explicitly mark sponsored sections.
- I pick high-quality sponsors. I regularly turn down offers from products I don’t believe in. I use (or have used) all of my sponsors’ products. Ideally, you find out about something you like, I feel good recommending it, and the business is sustainable.
Advertising can be abrupt and awkward (as on TV), or it can be amusing and clever. I aim for the latter with smooth transitions. Ideally, it's more interesting and makes you want to tune in for a second. If not, you can click away. That’s why they’re at the end. YouTube ads are disabled for the first 30 days of a sponsored video, people (understandably) don’t want two or three ads per video.
This only works if all parties are happy. If you aren’t, I welcome feedback. I also hope you’ll understand how difficult it is to satisfy everyone.